Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Forum Problems

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems
#120: August 11, 2018, 05:42:15 PM
I tried attaching but the size restriction doesn't let me.

If nobody else manages to help, I could send it by e-mail

M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
Re: Forum Problems
#121: August 11, 2018, 09:32:08 PM
Sir Osis,
[/size][/color][/font]
[/size][/color]Thank you so much. Yes, I saw the adding link info and am about to loo into it. I'm just getting a few minutes in while the kids are asleep and may not have another chance until they are asleep tomorrow unless I can get some time tomorrow afternoon too.[/font]

• Mentor
#122: August 12, 2018, 04:29:16 AM
When I go to reply to a post, this is at the bottom of the screen:

Attach:  (Clear Attachment)  (more attachments)Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip
 Restrictions: 2 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB
Note that any files attached will not be displayed until approved by a moderator.
(didn't come out exactly like it looks)

Should this be there?  I've never seen it before.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

S
  • Administrator
#123: August 12, 2018, 08:58:40 PM
I changed member options so Attachments is uncollapsed, otherwise you have to click on it to get file browser.  It's a profile option, most members don't know it's there, makes it a bit easier to do attachments.  Just taking a look at permissions, regular members were not allowed to post attachments, changed that to allow.  It's set for mod approval, left it that way.

#124: August 12, 2018, 09:09:08 PM
Last night I had THS back to normal and now it’s gone all weird again!

Can someone tell me what’s happened or what’s going on please?

It’s hard to use like this! Is it another teething problem?

X

S
  • Administrator
#125: August 12, 2018, 09:36:50 PM
Been trying to get the responsive mod working, so have been changing things a bit.  Right now you should be seeing the green theme you've been using for a while on pc, and a responsive version of same theme on mobile.  Same colors, but things are resized to fit on small portrait display.  Don't use a phone, but I can view it on Kindle Fire in android Silk, and in FF61 using responsive design mode.  Don't know how close either of these are to what members here are seeing on phones, so I'm working somewhat blind.

#126: August 12, 2018, 10:08:11 PM
I’m afraid I don’t understand any of this.

I just hope THS gets back to normally functioning very soon as it’s so hard to navigate my way round again!

X

S
  • Administrator
#127: August 12, 2018, 10:16:22 PM
I don't know what your seeing.  Are you using pc or phone?

Just installed mobile-desktop theme on test forum, doesn't look anything at all like the theme that was installed here and everyone hated.  I'll tinker with it a bit.

S
  • Administrator
#128: August 12, 2018, 10:30:11 PM
Everybody should now be seeing mobile-desktop theme (it's a blue theme), this is how it looks out-of-box (well, just one minor change to fix header logo).  Mobile layout seems to be a lot better than responsive curve.  It can be customized to suit, how does it look/work on phones?

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#129: August 12, 2018, 10:38:44 PM
Just installed mobile-desktop theme on test forum, doesn't look anything at all like the theme that was installed here and everyone hated.  I'll tinker with it a bit.

[/size]That's because I had already customized the colors and that was what they were complaining about.  I had also added my large header and that may have been causing the big fitting on phone issues. I guess that header is not responsive--it's just an image.

I've been in subs.php and have been reading the How do I add buttons to SMF 2.0 wiki. I'm practicing with a clean install on a test forum so I can mess up, undo and try again and again. I've worked with CSS at my main site quite a bit, but have not worked with php at all, so maybe that is the problem.

I started with a simple test...
'home' => array(
            'title' => $txt['home'],
            'href' => $scripturl,
            'show' => true,
            'sub_buttons' => array(
            ),
            'is_last' => $context['right_to_left'],

Changed 'title' => $txt['home'],
to 'title' => $txt['community-home'],

the words disappeared and the button reduced in size to 'fit' the lack of text. Later--after testing other bits--I tried changing 'home' => array( to 'ho' => array(
This was when I got a really unexpected result... The home button was still there, but a new button without text--so small--was at the end of the list of buttons. So weird I started laughing.

I tried adding the code from the wiki and got a button where I put it--just before the login/logout button.

'menu_action' => array(
            'title' => 'text for menu',
            'href' => $scripturl,
            'show' => true,
            'sub_buttons' => array(
               'sub_menu_action' => array(
                  'title' => 'text for sub-menu',
                  'href' => $scripturl . '?action=newaction',
                  'show' => true,
                  'is_last'=> true,
               ),
            ),
         ),
Since that worked I changed

'title' => 'text for menu',
to
            'title' => 'Heros Spouse',
without the apostrophe because that made it fail, I got a new button--still not adding url. It even came with a dropdown.
But when I tried adding two buttons (blog and mainsite), only the 2nd one I added showed up...HUH?

Still not sure exactly how to add the url--quotes, anything special added to the code since it is external?
[size=78%]

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.