Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting Working it out 25 - the final stages of the old and early stages of the new.

R
Sorry to hear about the newbie as well.

Yes, OW EA is definitely marking her place at your H's (coffee cups, shoes, etc). She wants his business and house. Good thing that you have your own place since he is so susceptible to her.

She is ruthless.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:28:04 AM by Reinventing »

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Yes, OW EA is definitely marking her place at your H's (coffee cups, shoes, etc). She wants his business and house. Good thing that you have your own place since he is so susceptible to her.

She is ruthless.

My thought exactly. She doesn't give a rat's patoot about H, she just wants the gold mine... and he is apparently MORE than willing to hand over the keys to the castle...

Reminds me a bit of the OW my father had... Everything wonderful until he had a massive stroke and was invalid for a couple of years,... then she was NOWHERE to be seen.... but his xW(3) was there by his side the entire time.... the one he D'd for OW<x>....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
The mugs….come on!!!! Tooooo much. So, the husband is there and leaves her there ? I can’t imagine any husband would be to happy about those mugs and bringing her D into the mug story? Im baffled.

Now the hairdresser. They kind become a untrained therapist for us, so how crazy that then she would have the same thing happen to her. I bet you were one of the first people she wanted to tell and get your opinion and advise from.

It’s a club no one wants to be in , but the club just keeps getting bigger and bigger
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
Now the hairdresser....... I bet you were one of the first people she wanted to tell and get your opinion and advise from.

I actually know her more through doing shows - she only became my hairdresser last year.  That said I wasn't one of the first. Her co partner in the hair salon was the first as she was divorced but instead of respecting my friend's privacy - she told many other people who contacted my friend's H instead of my friend and also told my friend to "kick him to the curb". She said she has already met such judgement from others - she couldn't understand it.

My friend said she was devastated about the lack of trust she could now have in her business partner.  She said that she had been told by many to "take her H for every single penny" (he is very wealthy - very)

She said that she was surprised when I said "I'm not going to offer you comments like that - they're a little unhelpful at this stage. I'm here for you. I'm more interested in helping you deal with the emotional fallout of all this"
I went through the checklist of things MLCers say and do and her H ticked  every box.  She was so shocked and reassured about this.

I did ask though that she get financial advice to which she said that she had already seen a solicitor who had advised freezing all her H's assets but she said that that would mean telling her H and at the moment he was still working from home and was being very nasty to her.  I told her that she would need to make sure all her income was hers and that she had done the right thing seeking guidance.

I just send her texts asking if she's ok and reminding her that I'm here and I will never judge her.
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

I imagine that must feel like a tremendous blessing to her, Song, air when she feels like she is drowning. I’m sure all of us would have happily spent our lives without having to know what those shoes feel like, but oh my goodness, it can be a validating lifesaver to be able to offer to others. I suspect though that one might need to have the lens of a few years out from BD and I hope that you are not finding it too triggering for you.

How are things going in your new place? And with your son?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

S
  • Mentor
Update - Looks like it's been a bit of a moving time for not just me but a few other forum members too..... was that in the stars or moon UM?

Been here a month now and still sorting things out. One of which was paying off any debts and really deciding what to do with the rooms. 
I had chucked out so much stuff before the move and thought that was it but now I look at the unpacked boxes in the loft and think - really?  Do I actually need this stuff?

Moving house made me realise how much stuff we hold onto. Much of it is sentimental, some of it is practical but all of it is stuff we bought/acquired/inherited etc..... 

My marriage with H was stuff too - full of memories both good and bad (if you count BD) - practical, loving for most of the time, enjoyable etc..   What I am keeping are those good memories, the good feelings, the knowledge that we brought up 3 wonderful children, the knowledge that life is precious (aka H's stroke) and the knowledge that no matter what happened we are fallible, flawed human beings and compassion, dignity and integrity will always overcome the cr*p in our lives.

So I am reducing the amount of physical stuff even further. I don't want my children to have to eventually look at it all  and just think "why oh why did she hang onto this"  What I hang onto now will have a purpose, a reason and more importantly it will become part of their history and their own life stories. 

And so I now feel that my new life is beginning and, as I approach a big birthday in a few months and leave this decade behind, I have to choose to live it and whoever wants to come along for the ride is welcome but they have to choose to want to be with me and I have the right to refuse.

Re H - I popped H a quick text asking how he was because the GP has upped his medication. He phoned back. We talked but it was all superficial - me wittering on about the 3rd plumber I'd had to find and him talking about how his car is still in the workshop awaiting repair after 6 weeks because the manufacturers and insurance company can't agree who pays even though the car is technically under warranty etc...... you know the stuff that acquaintances and friends talk about..... ::) ::)

That's it - life as a single is proving interesting and challenging.  It's a new journey and so far I've been able to navigate most of the milestones without too much of a hiccup. Long may it continue!

BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

S
  • Mentor
Time for a brief update:

I am sort of enjoying my new house.  Living here though is such a contrast from where we used to live.  We used to have trees, land, a river and fields all around and now it's  a standard detached property right here in the middle of a suburban road. It's nice to be nearer people and it's nice to be nearer town but this is probably not my forever home.  That's ok though. It is considerably cheaper to live here and I am finding it closer to 2 of my 3 teaching posts. So all good really - it's just that feeling of what more is there?

My neighbours are very sweet but the whole close (avenue) is a little bit Stepford wivesish/Truman show.......On Sundays, the men clean the cars with their pressure washers and the women vacuum the cars.  The bins are always brought out roadside together and yes I've seen 4 neighbours all bring their bins out at the same time - acknowledge each other with a sort of Truman style smile and wave......

My children continue to offer their own sweet challenges so life as a mum of 3 adults is certainly not dull.

My time with H is fairly regular - usually a weekly phone call or I will pop over and have a meal with him. (S hates him so much he doesn't want H here at all)
On the H front for those of you interested in a 9 and half yr old MLCer( ;D ;D) Following on from his stroke (as well living on his own now)  he is actually getting much better physically and much more aware of how he can help his motor skills continue to improve.  He's had the most horrendous time with his car that literally fell apart whilst he was driving  - the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge the metal fatigue report given by a the top metallurgical professor in the uk and the insurance company won't touch or help at all.  So he's bought a little runaround and that has begun to transform him in other good ways. 

As a typical MLCer he prized objects of high value. Now he's discovered that he doesn't need a fancy car to get from A to B. He has found greater freedom driving a small car that he can handle with confidence and he has become increasingly grafteful.

In terms of "Us" well there is no "us" per se but there is a warm friendship that will persist. He is far more tactile than he has been over the last 9 years.  I get a welcome hug and kiss, a hug because he feels like it and a farewell hug and kiss.  It's all very nice; and yet I know it is only what it is - a hug and kiss for his wife of 34 yrs. 
He has become more chatty and more engaged with what is happening. He listens far more than he ever used to and the "mr fix it has disappeared"

He and I get on well - still haven't had the kind of  apology I seek and neither do I anticipate the one thing I desire most - for H and S to reconnect and move towards an understanding of each other.  That I fear may never happen and I don't want S to regret his decision as the MLC circle may turn again down the road for S too.  I don't want his partner or children (should he ever have them) to witness the same level of emotional destruction that we have.
Interestingly S has said he doesn't want a partner or children because he's not mentally healthy or emotionally stable.  S is in fact spiralling down again and every morning I wake up wondering......It's a horrid state to be in.

And so the MLC fallout continues......

However that said, I am grateful. I am grateful for all the things MLC has taught me. I am grateful for the fact that I have learned so much about depression and it's dark paths. I am grateful for the fact that I have discovered I can shoulder the challenges and C**p that comes my way.  I am grateful for the fact that I have my health, my ability to write, shop, laugh, drive etc...... 

My thread title is "final stages of the old and early stages of the new"  I think the old is now well and truly done.  The new is an uphill path but I know the view when I get there will be tremendous.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:04:05 AM by Songanddance »
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer

E
I always love your updates Song. Hank you for continuing to share. I’m sad for you about the worries with your son. But so happy that you are in such a great place yourself.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

• Mentor
Nice update Song.

I also get the hello and goodbye kiss...just that, no hugs though.

Interesting observations about your "community". One thing I find with many of my married friends is that if we are planning to do something, they always say, well let me check with my husband first .... I had a day planned with a friend last week and the plans changed. There are some major problems in her marriage and she immediately said "let me text him re the change in plans" and I looked at her and said "why do you need to tell him?" and it dawned on her that there was no need to "report" in...the change really involved just a different location.

I do love the property and the area I live in (although a 20 year old house has been expensive lately!) so it's good to hear your observations about this new community. When I consider moving back to Canada, I know I will not have this "beauty" surrounding me and would have neighbors much much closer and I am not ready for that yet.

Your son is a big worry for you. I don't have any words of advice and hope that he somehow finds the right "treatment" or "therapy" to help him to heal...you could use one less worry.

I am grateful for the fact that I have discovered I can shoulder the challenges and C**p that comes my way.  I am grateful for the fact that I have my health, my ability to write, shop, laugh, drive etc......

Well said!!!!! Gratitude is very important to our health and well being.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:36:01 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
the one thing I desire most - for H and S to reconnect and move towards an understanding of each other.  That I fear may never happen and I don't want S to regret his decision as the MLC circle may turn again down the road for S too.  I don't want his partner or children (should he ever have them) to witness the same level of emotional destruction that we have.
Interestingly S has said he doesn't want a partner or children because he's not mentally healthy or emotionally stable.  S is in fact spiralling down again and every morning I wake up wondering......It's a horrid state to be in.

I totally get this. Even after all of this time and things getting better, S19 still holds his father at arms length. They have a better.....I don't know if relationship is the best word......but at least they interact and we can do things as a family sometimes. S19 has depression and anxiety and still has not been able to muster up the courage and confidence to get a job. He has been suicidal. Some days are better than others. I often wonder how things might have been different if H had not gone down this road.........

((hugs))
Married 18
BD April 2012
Left home Nov 2012
Home May 2016

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.