Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story The Twilight Zone...

H
My Story The Twilight Zone...
#10: June 04, 2024, 11:18:25 AM

Hi Hopeful5,

What I'll share below is taken and modified from my personal notes when I was more or less in where you are. So the style etc. may seem bit unusual (but it does prove I am a very systematic thinker, LOL).  Any extra additions/comments just for you I have placed inside parenthesis below.

It will get better. But it requires you to focus on you and your behaviour instead of responding to her crazy stuff.

Alvin

Alvin, Wow, I really appreciate your incredibly thoughtful response.  There are many of these things I'm doing, and some that I haven't stepped fully into yet.  I'll be referencing your list regularly. This is invaluable - Thank you!

I'm not sure what stage I'm in, but I think I'm finally coming to full acceptance that my marriage (as I knew it) is over and that my W is not interested in any form of reconciliation.  I spoke with my D lawyer today and he mentioned that it seems like there is a giant wound in our family and it just keeps filling up with puss and popping. And since my W doesn't want to deal with the root issue and fix it, the infection just continues to go deeper the longer things go on.  He mentioned that there are many kids who end up resenting a parent who lets toxic situations like mine go on for longer than necessary. He said someone has to cut the head off this snake and deal with the issue. If D is the only option, the quicker the better.

Maybe I'm too cynical (I know I am), but since he's a D lawyer, I just assume his goal is to sell me on a D.  Regardless, what he said rang true.

As we've discussed before, I do know that a D will not solve all problems, and that it will create some new ones.  I'm not ready to take that step until I've become more financially independent.   I'm currently focusing on total detachment and creating a new life , focused on independence and being a great father.

The Twilight Zone...
#11: June 04, 2024, 12:58:48 PM
Maybe I'm too cynical (I know I am), but since he's a D lawyer, I just assume his goal is to sell me on a D.  Regardless, what he said rang true.

You're definitely not too cynical.  Your D lawyer was selling it to you.

As far as kids and their possible resentment goes.... Its not if but when, regardless of what happens with your marriage. This has been massive traumatic experience to you, and it is even bigger for your kids.  Their primitive/undeveloped mind will create very bizarre theories  and solutions when trying to understand all the mindfiretruck, and it will also create selfblame and anger just like you have gone through. The same way you have received help from this community and therapist to get your thoughts sorted, your kids too will need some proper guidance. Or else they will make some bad choices.As parent, as father, you need to be there and give them both tools and answers... It's not gonna be easy, but hopefully it will give them solid foundations for future life.

All in all, you are on good route. Becoming independent, building acceptance, taking care of family, and doing mindfull decisions are all essential first steps in securing your future regardless of what happens with your marriage.  Now just go slow (and then even slower).

Alvin
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

A
  • Trial Subscriber
The Twilight Zone...
#12: June 04, 2024, 01:37:31 PM
I'm not sure what stage I'm in, but I think I'm finally coming to full acceptance that my marriage (as I knew it) is over and that my W is not interested in any form of reconciliation.  I spoke with my D lawyer today and he mentioned that it seems like there is a giant wound in our family and it just keeps filling up with puss and popping. And since my W doesn't want to deal with the root issue and fix it, the infection just continues to go deeper the longer things go on.  He mentioned that there are many kids who end up resenting a parent who lets toxic situations like mine go on for longer than necessary. He said someone has to cut the head off this snake and deal with the issue. If D is the only option, the quicker the better.

As we've discussed before, I do know that a D will not solve all problems, and that it will create some new ones.  I'm not ready to take that step until I've become more financially independent.   I'm currently focusing on total detachment and creating a new life , focused on independence and being a great father.

Take your time. I've spoken with a lawyer and I'm aware of what will happen if I go forward but I know I need time and my wife needs time also.

So far zero indication she is coming back or even really misses the kids and I. It's so bizarre.

No rush. Slow is my advise and that's the advice I was given. So far that was sound advice.

H
The Twilight Zone...
#13: June 04, 2024, 06:39:01 PM
>>> Go Slow -- Take your time <<<.  Good advice. When emotions run high, I so badly want to file for D. I know that won't solve anything in the moment, and I do need this time to begin to rebuild without the pressure of a D.  Both me and the kids need some sense of financial stability and a clear path forward once a D is on the table.   Right now, a D would just be setting off another bomb. We've had enough of that already.  From here on out it's about clarity and making good, healthy decisions that build a better future.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 06:41:43 PM by Hopeful5 »

The Twilight Zone...
#14: June 04, 2024, 11:23:55 PM
When emotions run high, I so badly want to file for D.

That is your primitive lizard brain having an anxious knee-jerk reaction. Sadly the lizard brain is always gonna be much faster than your adult brain. The only way out of it is to learn to go slow and be mindful. In the beginning your body will feel anxiety of it (awaiting for beasts to kill you) but it is like a muscle - with discipline and few months of repeat you can reach a state where you can act with sanity and detachment without anxiety. It is good place to be.

Not sure if you are familiar with mindfulness, but it can be really helpful as "cheat sheet" to fight off lizard brain. For example one thing that worked for me was "counting to five" before responding. Another success for me was rule of three - before making any major decision, I paused for 3 minutes, then 3 hours, then 3 days, weeks and ultimately months. It did a world of difference, and often times I discovered major faults in my original thinking. Time is your friend, use it wisely.

You might also check various breathing techniques. They help controlling physical anxiety, which is part of reason why your lizard brain is so reactive.

There is lot you can learn of yourself. And it is not for her or your marriage, but for you and people around you. When you learn about this stuff, it will make your life better day after day for rest of your life, regardless of what happens with your marriage. 

Sorry for pouring more "new stuff to learn" for you, LOL.

Alvin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 11:27:48 PM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

A
  • Trial Subscriber
The Twilight Zone...
#15: June 06, 2024, 05:59:40 AM
Not sure if you are familiar with mindfulness, but it can be really helpful as "cheat sheet" to fight off lizard brain. For example one thing that worked for me was "counting to five" before responding. Another success for me was rule of three - before making any major decision, I paused for 3 minutes, then 3 hours, then 3 days, weeks and ultimately months. It did a world of difference, and often times I discovered major faults in my original thinking. Time is your friend, use it wisely.

You might also check various breathing techniques. They help controlling physical anxiety, which is part of reason why your lizard brain is so reactive.

There is lot you can learn of yourself. And it is not for her or your marriage, but for you and people around you. When you learn about this stuff, it will make your life better day after day for rest of your life, regardless of what happens with your marriage. 

I didn't think any of this would happen but it's all happening. One day at a time I appreciate my new life and all the amazing people and family I have, my beautiful children. Breathing helped a lot at the beginning also, less so now as my anxiety has dropped off for the time being.

I am bracing for the next BD but I do so with more confidence I can handle it.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.