Skip to main content

Author Topic:  My story

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
Re: My story
#50: December 15, 2023, 04:15:17 PM
I told her no gifts 🎁 and she said that will make things awkward for the kids … I said yeah - you dropping the bomb recently and moving into the spare had no effect - right . The sad thing is my daughter seems ok with it all … she’s always had a special bond w mom. My W even said our D will forgive me. Heck - I think she even thinks it’s ok (maybe even cool) since so many of her friends are divorced. It’s odd to be on the outside looking in with my son away and my W & D having a fun evening at home. I’m obviously not included … stuff like this sucks …and I’ve done nothing wrong!
This is such a twisted mess … my S 17 believes it’s over and his mom has lost her mind …
Anyway - just got home from working and meeting a friend early am to accomplish some addtl projects that need done …

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#51: December 18, 2023, 05:29:04 AM
Weekend went ok all things considered. She spent a lot of time getting the spare room (her new bedroom) cleaned and organized. She did a nice job and we moved a tv to that room as well. We spent a few hours together Saturday, a little conversation but nothing of substance. We had a showing to do and then returned home and watched 2 hours of football together.  She’s into deep thought, reading and podcasting. No arguments, relationship discussions, or anything all weekend. She made several food / meals and made sure I was aware I could have what I wanted. Sunday was mostly separate with her in her room preparing for Xmas and cooking in between. Not a bad weekend but still tough to be close to Xmas with kids and no connection with her. But I’m still grateful - she’s still kind, we can talk, and the kids are doing ok things considered.

F
  • Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves
#52: December 20, 2023, 03:09:21 AM
Quote from: lost88
Appreciate the feedback - I guess im beginning to give up standing. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and have never been good at faking things. While I love this group it seems most end in D and since my wife is focused on that as the most likely outcome .. why should I fight or have any hope? I’m not filing but but choosing not to fight for us either .. I’ve always been a black and white kinda guy. This isn’t living … and this may help me to move past the daily stress …

Hi Lost88,

what you are saying here and there about hope makes me want to answer you something specific.
In French we have 2 different words for hope : "espoir" and "espérance". Those 2 words may be considered as synonyms but some philosophs and theologians consider they are different and opposite.

"espoir", phisophically speaking is an human emotion, a passion that makes us expect that the situation will be better in the future.

"espérance" is a theologal virtue, alongside wit Faith and Love (Caritas/Agape), it is given by God.

From my opinion, you should give up with "hope" /espoir that is actually expectation that your wife will go out quickly from the MLC. JMO, no need to fight for something that is not under your control. That is why the advise to live as if our spouses won't come back is a good one. Giving up with expectation helps you to detach and to heal.

You may still hope / avoir l'espérance that your W may, one day, come out of her MLC. But it is totally beyond your control and independant of your actions.

Weekend went ok all things considered. She spent a lot of time getting the spare room (her new bedroom) cleaned and organized. She did a nice job and we moved a tv to that room as well. We spent a few hours together Saturday, a little conversation but nothing of substance. We had a showing to do and then returned home and watched 2 hours of football together.  She’s into deep thought, reading and podcasting. No arguments, relationship discussions, or anything all weekend. She made several food / meals and made sure I was aware I could have what I wanted. Sunday was mostly separate with her in her room preparing for Xmas and cooking in between. Not a bad weekend but still tough to be close to Xmas with kids and no connection with her. But I’m still grateful - she’s still kind, we can talk, and the kids are doing ok things considered.
this looks fine, great for you that you can be grateful for the little things that are still in your life.
M 44, W43. Married 18 years, together 21
3 children D17, D15, S6
OM discovered Dec 22, BD Jan 23 (few days after)
W still living at home
Aimer, c'est donner sans attendre de retour et tout acte est prière, s'il est don de soi (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
Love means to give without expecting return, and every act is a prayer if it is a self-gift. (thanks OffRoad !)

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#53: December 22, 2023, 03:47:04 AM
W started counseling this week - I didn’t ask and she didn’t tell how it went but did set another apt.

I’ve been keeping my distance, feeling the energy she gives off and adjusting accordingly. Yesterday W comes home and I say hello and go upstairs (looking for my glasses) but also just creating space. She comments you don’t have to disappear when I walk in the same room. I comment - you wanted space and separation , mostly stay in your room, and never start a conversation. We are living separate lives other than communicating about kids and holidays. I said I’m giving you exactly what you want ….
She went on to say 2 nights ago she was in lr on couch for 2 hours and I never said a word ..  i said and you didn’t either. You were glued to your phone, while I cooked and ate dinner by myself. Your vibe wasn’t inviting so I just carried on with my evening.
It’s interesting how you give them what asked for but then questioned ?

F
  • Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves
My story
#54: December 22, 2023, 04:21:06 AM
Hi lost88,
Your story reminds me one joke on Jew mothers (very stereotypical for sure) :
The mother gives to his son 2 neckties.
First day, to please her mother the son wears the red necktie.
Then her mother complains : "Ho that means you don't like the blue one ?"

Second day, to please her mother the son wears the blue necktie.
Then her mother complains : "Ho that means you don't like the red one ?"

Third day, to please her mother the son wears both neckties ?
Then her mother cries : "my son is mad, he does not know how to dress himself !"

Your answers were very good I think. Have a nice Christmas !
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 05:34:28 AM by FrenchHusband »
M 44, W43. Married 18 years, together 21
3 children D17, D15, S6
OM discovered Dec 22, BD Jan 23 (few days after)
W still living at home
Aimer, c'est donner sans attendre de retour et tout acte est prière, s'il est don de soi (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
Love means to give without expecting return, and every act is a prayer if it is a self-gift. (thanks OffRoad !)

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#55: December 22, 2023, 04:57:30 AM
Tks and merry Xmas !

It’s just really Because when you’re used to sharing your day with someone that’s what I feel like doing each day. But when it’s not reciprocated, and there’s cold and distance on most days, I’m learning to detach and shut down. I know that’s what’s recommended, but it sure doesn’t feel good when I’m lessening the contact even though sometimes it’s more one-sided

K
My story
#56: December 22, 2023, 05:14:50 AM
It's the mixed messages that are so often talked about in relation to this crisis. I feel we all have had them to greater or lesser degrees. It's hard not to take these things at face value, of course, but a good mantra is 'if you are confused, they are still in crisis'. 

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#57: December 22, 2023, 11:26:00 AM
I agree .. a new day and new attitude.  She’s working from home today and I went to office for a couple of hours (like I do all Dec of every year) and was not thrilled I came home. She left shortly after and returned while I was washing my car. She didn’t say bye or where she was going - which she hasn’t done ever before. Change of behavior for sure , esp from last night when telling me I don’t have to leave the room when she enters - or I didnt speak w her other night while she hung on couch for 2 hours …
I feel she is pulling away more lately. She’s going out w friends tonight so I’m sure she’ll be happy until she hits the garage door opener returning home ..
Mood swings from east to west ..
Claims she just wants to get thru holidays .. not sure what that means - yikes
Hard to ever be right since I’m always gonna be wrong .. lose lose everytime.

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#58: December 24, 2023, 07:01:17 AM
Today seems like an up day thus far & yesterday was as well. I was busy all day and in and out for most of the day. It feels odd (almost dirty) for me to come home after being gone for 5 hours, change clothes and then leave again for several hours more without telling her where I’m going. I just walk out the door …. She has the ability to use life 360 but we have always communicated for the past 22 years …
Guess I’ll get used to it. Today will be interesting .. Xmas with her mom and step father. He’s great she’s a B. & for sure cause of drama when my W was a kid. Hoping this get addressed in counseling .. wife knows there’s outstanding things to work on …

Funny A friend called me yesterday just to say he missed me. He was D a few years back and I told him what I was going thru - and he said that’s exactly what his wife went thru. He didn’t understand it, had never heard of a MLC being like this and it blew his life apart. His wife (now 5 years past it all - has told her D20 that it was the biggest mistake of her life …

Strength to all the LBS today and tomorrow and new year! - whether your standing, moved on or in between. These are the days that we miss them the most …love yourself extra this holiday season and take & give hugs from all willing to do so!

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#59: December 25, 2023, 04:28:25 AM
Yesterday we did Xmas at her parents place. Her birth father passed and her step father and I are very close.  Car ride there we chatted and it didn’t go well. She said she no longer has issues w her childhood since she’s thought about herself over the last 2 weeks and has gotten thru it. Yeah - that sounds reasonable. Likely puts a nail in her counseling that she started last week - said she will try a couple more sessions - my guess is that over quickly. She was quick to say she can’t love me the way I deserve and I deserve better. I told her I wasn’t looking forward to the day and neither of us care for her mother ! She’s nasty and negative and I’m betting a major reason why my W is in this mindset.

We arrive and i take dog for a quick walk. FIL was on way and 30 min out. Only MIL was home. After a quick dog walk, I go in and grab a piece of ham from the food. My mother-in-law was preparing. She was not happy about it and gets frustrated when people pull food prior to being served to everyone. She got nasty As she  usually does which I blew off and just went to a different room. At that point knowing my son and father-in-law wouldn’t be there for a little while I decided to go for a walk myself. Surprisingly after a 15 minute walk I get a text from my wife, asking me if she would like some meatballs that she had brought with us for part of the meal. She said she would warm them up and be waiting for me when I returned. That was very kind and something that she has not done in the past several weeks, especially something specifically for me. my father-in-law son eventually arrived, and he and I skied a few runs before coming in to do our gift exchange and eat food. This is where things took a turn, which was very surprising. I sat on a small couch by myself before I usually do, and my wife eventually came and sat next to me.  Not during Thanksgiving. She gave me no attention and sat separately in every opportunity, and we have very little interactive conversations between us. During the gift exchange, we talked, laughed, she gave me chocolates that she was gifted to try and grabbed all of my presence and small gas and package in a box , so we were prepared for our drive home. We interacted she had joy in her eyes, it was definitely a glimmer of my actual wife that I have not seen in the past six or seven weeks. It wasn’t fake it didn’t seem like it was a bunch of effort , it seemed like we turned back the clock a few months and things were normal between us. We got through the day eventually it was time to leave. I asked her if she would drive the 70 minutes home and she agreed. Once we got the car cycled down it was more distant . We talked but not with the same lighthearted enthusiasm. There was no laughing no smiles. It was back to the show of my wife and her personality when it’s just her and I. My daughter was in the backseat with AirPods in so it was just us conversing. It was some small talk, but nothing serious and I didn’t wanna ruin. What was one of the best days I’ve had since this bond drop just changed my life. Once we got home, she sat in the living room while I put a few things away and decided to watch a movie. I went upstairs because I felt like she didn’t want company nor did she invite me in the evening wound down until she went to her bedroom for the night. What’s interesting is my son who came home later that night texted me and said mom was totally different today. Was she faking it , I told him no she wasn’t faking it. She obviously was cycling very high, and it was nice to see her old self for a short amount of time. It was hard for him because he said he couldn’t believe she sat next to me was interacting and was happy to do so.  he was hoping that something clicked on our drive off and things had already returned to normal but obviously that’s not the case. Anyway, we have my family coming over today so there’s lots of work to be done with cooking and cleaning, which we will both do our fair share. We will first do our Christmas gift exchange amongst might be family, which will not include any exchange between my wife and I since I told her I didn’t feel it was appropriate or worth it.

Hoping today goes smoothly as well. It was crazy to see her snap back to herself for a couple hours yesterday - I almost grabbed her hand at 1 point , but i resisted! Life w and MLC sure is unpredictable- Atleast I had a positive surprise yesterday. I have no expectations that it was just blip on a brainwave that was misplaced short term….

Merry Xmas all ! May god bless us all! He’s the reason for the season !

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.