Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story New here, not new to MLC

R
My Story New here, not new to MLC
#30: June 27, 2023, 04:45:31 PM
Oh my goodness UrsaMajor you made me laugh- like really laugh for the first time in a long time. Your comments were amazing. The both made me laugh and reassured me that I am not going absolutely crazy. I cannot thank you enough- truly!
He wasn’t actively seeking treatment for his ED until after he met the OW- I found information from a doctor’s visit as well as some online treatments he was trying. When I told him that I knew he had been to the doctor etc.. and felt even more betrayed because he was trying to get treatment to be with  her  and not me, he said, “I’m doing this treatment for us” funny thing is he never mentioned it to me.  Weird, huh!
It’s so hard not to feel like the OW is better….. and I know I need to stop comparing myself to her. I guess I figure she must be the “ bees knees”if he blew up his whole family for her. 
I do not do any pain shopping- I even tell people if you see them
out I don’t want to know- needless to say as soon as I say that someone always says - well I saw them here or there. One strange thing is that he never introduces her to anyone from his old life. He does still have a few friends from when we were married and strangely enough they are MY friends from high school ( or they were my friends) again (giving her head space) I’m thinking why would she be ok with not being introduced to people…. Deep breath … let it go!!!!
My counselor, who also calls the OW Trixie said one time, “I don’t think things are going to turn out so well for Miss Trixie, but you need to stop letting her take up any of your head space.” I will definitely have to work on this!!
Thank you Madluv for responding as well. You are right, who he is now is not worthy of me (or my kids, really )I read and reread all of your responses.
I hope some day to be as helpful to someone else as you all
Have been to me.

• Mentor
New here, not new to MLC
#31: June 27, 2023, 09:54:01 PM
One of my favorite quotes was from the son of a poster here (nah):
He wasn't looking for someone better than you, he was looking for someone worse than himself.

One you can truly see that, it gets easier, imo. I mean really, what is the current moral badness level of your MLCer? Is it closer to you or closer to OW? Is what he is right now something you would have looked at twice way back when? Mine isn't. That doesn't mean he can't get back there again, but for right now, did she get any prize?

Normal people who have morals and compassion and find that their marriage isn't working out don't do the things a standard MLCer does. They don't cheat, they leave first; they don't say hurtful things, they graciously take on the blame to themselves and find a fair way to deal with the breakup; they don't steal things or leave everything, but seek a proper split of assets; and they don't use kids as pawns. If you were lied to, lied about, gaslighted, cheated on, stolen from, verbally abused and/or abandoned, MLC or not the person that did that to you has no honor, integrity, or decent moral compass. Unless you believe your H was always such a screwed up individual, something that was  not you happened.

It was not you. It wasn't anything you did or did not do. Only broken people behave in the manner you have seen from him. If someone hadn't mentioned, it's time to put on your own oxygen mask and work on your life as it is now. If he comes back fine, if he doesn't also fine. You can do this. We here are all living proof.  ;D
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

New here, not new to MLC
#32: June 28, 2023, 05:13:05 AM
Unless you believe your H was always such a screwed up individual, something that was  not you happened.

^^^^this  :)
What I suspect your brain will respond with is something like well, if it was not me (being a lousy wife/mother/human etc etc), then it was about Trixie (being so irresistibly pretty/younger/better)…….hence all the what if focus on his relationship with her.
The reality we are encouraging you to embrace is that it was neither about you or about Trixie. It’s about him and his tactics for dealing with how he felt about himself and his own life. At worst, you represented obligations as a partner and parent he was failing to meet and Trixie represented an opportunity to run away and distract himself. You were a scratch to him and she was an itch….it says nothing at all about either of you as people, just representative objects. Although choosing to have an affair with a much older married man and to get pregnant probably does say something about her character….you have to be some blend of a special kind of delusional and self-centred stupid to do that imho. Very standard ow type.  ::) And I suspect your therapist will turn out to be quite right about how well that’s going to work out for Trixie….but hey ho, not your circus.

(On a side note, I think you are still legally married? If so, you might want to take some legal advice. It would be pretty standard if pregnant Trixie the Trollop were to turn up the pressure on her pick me dance and forewarned is forearmed.)

The issue of truth-telling to kids is a real one for many parents here. Age appropriate, of course, but the underlying principles of inadvertently gaslighting them vs inserting your pov into the mix of their relationship with the other parent are probably just as valid. Everything from trying the ‘of course your dad loves you even though he hasn’t contacted you for weeks’ to the gritted teeth ‘glad you had a nice time this weekend making cookies with ow’ grrr and the ‘that sounds as if you found dinner with your dad a bit upsetting when he got drunk and told you what a terrible son/daughter you are’.

Not a parent, so my pov comes with a million caveats  :)
Seems to me the common thing is to separate his behaviour towards you from his behaviour towards them and to show you can separate it in any conversations you have. Which sounds easy to do but of course is actually quite hard. How do you think you are doing on that score so far, my friend? And to what extent can they do that too bc I’m not sure that’s any easier either?

The second thing….and I have a funny feeling that although it might look different with small kids and adult kids, it might be a bit the same….I was trying to imagine how I would have felt in my 20s if this had happened to me….I think there might be an operating principle of being guided by the questions they float. You know, a bit like how you know when a little kid starts to suspect that Santa might not be real (sorry if that’s a plot spoiler for any LBS here lol) or when they start to ask questions about where babies come from or why boy bits look different from girl bits  :) Humans tend to ask questions when we feel ready to perhaps deal with the answers. What kind of questions are you young adult kids floating with you? Or what kind of things are they venting about to you?

Depending on that - and I’m sure it varies between kids and evolves with time and events - I wonder if it works the same way as a Santa or sex conversation? If you stick to the facts without embroidery eg ‘yes, your Dad had an affair with Susie Slop and left to go and live with her’. Followed by an open question or two eg ‘how do you feel now you know that Santa doesn’t really show up with gifts and reindeer?’ becomes a ‘how do you feel about your dad living in Alaska now?’ Or ‘are there any particular things you would like to ask me about the differences between boys and girls bodies? becomes a ‘are there any particular questions you’d like to ask me about how things are right now?’ Closing with a ‘well, I’m always here if there are things you want to talk about in future’ of some sort.

Imho when there has been betrayal, rejection and chaos for a family, the truth matters. Maybe not all of the facts, but enough to know that you are not being manipulated, triangulated or deceived. That you can trust at least one parent to treat you with respect and tell you the truth in so far as they are able, and listen to you, even if you don’t like it or think they should be responding to it differently probably becomes even more important if you have an MLC type parent who isn’t doing that.

Gaslighting is a very unsettling thing, as most of us know, bc it takes away your agency….it can be a bit crazy making bc your own instincts (or eyes lol) are telling you one thing and someone you are supposed to be able to trust is telling you the opposite. Gaslighting is not protective imho. At the same time, and often in life, people don’t necessarily need our opinions….they need reliable consistent facts so they can form their own opinions and that it is safe for them to have opinions of their own even if others disagree with them.

Just my take fwiw.

Does that make sense? Or am I singing from a silly non-parent hymn sheet here?  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 05:16:34 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

B
New here, not new to MLC
#33: June 28, 2023, 06:04:15 AM
Treasur,

Bang on the money, parent or not.

R
New here, not new to MLC
#34: June 29, 2023, 10:33:53 AM
Treasur- thank you again for taking the time to respond. We are divorced. He left at the very end of Nov 2019 and we were divorced by the beginning of July 2020. He couldn’t divorce me fast enough (he accused me of dragging my feet >:(!
At the beginning I didn’t say much to my kids who are adults. My daughter figured out the OW before I did (I suspected something) but she had proof. He still denies a lot of what happened - he would take the OW to bars in town and my daughter’s friends would see them out together. But it’s “not what you think, blah blah blah”.
Over the years the kids and I have talked more about it- my kids think he is mentally ill. And now that there is a baby involved they have both pretty much distanced themselves from him. He doesn’t understand why they are not happy for him and he gets mad at them for not being so. My daughter has never met OW and my son sees her a few times a year. I’m not sure if I am doing the right thing for my kids, but we have been much more open about talking about the hurt he has caused all of us. My kids need to process that their birth parents died and now the dad who raises them has left. It’s not fair to them and I hate it for them.

R
New here, not new to MLC
#35: February 04, 2024, 05:33:10 PM
Hello again everyone. I appreciate all of  your past advice.
I have not posted in a long time, I've been doing the work and trying to get better.
Not sure if I need to recap
BD 2019
Divorced July 2020
OW 17 years younger.
D (28) and S (25) are adopted because my sister and brother in law passed away.
At first clinging boomeranged
Now pretty much a vanisher
June 2023 tells the kids he is having  baby with the OW-kids were not happy and he was upset with them because they were not thrilled with the news-D (28) pretty much cut off contact then.Told me he had no plans to marry OW.
Oct 2023 a very good friend of his (and ours) passed away at an early age. He called me crying wanting to tell me about the situation.During the conversation he just happened to mention that OW had the baby a few days before-" I don't want to upset you but...." I did not react.
Feb 2024 My dad called me because there was a full page article in the the city paper about OW and how wonderful she is at restoring old houses and blah blah blah. At the end of the article it said "OW lives in blank with her three month old and her fiancee, my ex's name." So that is how my kids found out their dad was getting remarried and everyone else in town.
I did text exh and tell him how hurt the kids were and how awful it was for them to find out that way-his response "I was in New Orleans and I was gone all week, I had nothing to do with that article" Then he sent me a screen shot of his itinerary  proving his was in New Orleans all week-what the what???? No, I'm sorry the kids are hurt or this isn't they way I wanted them to find out-mind blowing!

I guess I just needed to vent because I want to throttle him. I don't want to have a pity party, but I am so tired of everything. I try to be  a good person and do good things, but what is the point? Maybe I was a bad wife, maybe he didn't love me. OW must make him so much happier that he has no relationship with his kids. He has replaced us all.  I know you all understand and it's nice to be heard by people who get it.
Thanks for reading.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
New here, not new to MLC
#36: February 05, 2024, 06:54:59 AM
<...snip...>
My dad called me because there was a full page article in the the city paper about OW and how wonderful she is at restoring old houses and blah blah blah. At the end of the article it said "OW lives in blank with her three month old and her fiancee, my ex's name." So that is how my kids found out their dad was getting remarried and everyone else in town.
I did text exh and tell him how hurt the kids were and how awful it was for them to find out that way-his response "I was in New Orleans and I was gone all week, I had nothing to do with that article" Then he sent me a screen shot of his itinerary  proving his was in New Orleans all week-what the what???? No, I'm sorry the kids are hurt or this isn't they way I wanted them to find out-mind blowing!

My answer to his screenshot is "Yeah, and? You got engaged so you DID have something to do with that article one way or another. Besides, this isn't about you, it is about YOUR KIDS and how they are feeling."

What a wanker.....

Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

R
New here, not new to MLC
#37: February 05, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
Yes, you are right. I do need to focus on my kids and their hurt. I do have to work on not feeling sorry for myself. I have been working on getting better, but I still have work to do. I get stuck in the why does he do this and continue to hurt the kids and me. I need to accept I may never know why.

New here, not new to MLC
#38: February 05, 2024, 07:58:57 AM
Next time…and with these MLC chaos monkeys, there is almost always a next time….i’d suggest you don’t text him. Why? Bc if he valued what you valued, he wouldn’t have done what he’s done. And bc it’s a waste of your good life and energy to throw sensible pearls at swine  :) his response is, of course, 3rd party word salad BS….he may not have been directly involved in the article (how very ow textbook is that though  ::) ) but the core issue behind it is his to own. Both that he got engaged and that he did not choose to tell his children right off the bat.

But he doesn’t care enough about what you or his kids or probably other folks think to act differently….imho telling him what you think is like spitting into the wind, much better to just be a calm listening ear to your kids while they figure out their response to it. (and perhaps secretly punch a pillow imagining his face lol)

It does take quite a while imho to replace both one’s questions and how you feel with some version of ‘I don’t know’ or ‘not my circus’. But the one thing you can be sure about is that it is nothing to do with you or your kids; it’s about him or about ow. It’s just a bit shocking to deal with an adult (technically) who shows so little concern about the effect of their behaviour on others.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

R
New here, not new to MLC
#39: February 05, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Thank you. I know I texted him in anger- I couldn’t believe what happened.
I did find it odd that in an article about how ow liked to be involved in old homes (btw something I have also loved to do and she is  living in the old home I always wanted to live in) that she would have the need to mention that she was engaged and name my ex specifically. She obviously doesn’t think she has done anything wrong by having an affair with a married man and not caring that she had never met his daughter after four years and sees his son a few times a year🤷‍♀️ she announced it to the whole city.
Thank you for reminding me that I need to focus on my kids . They are great kids who do not deserve this. Their birth parents died and now have to deal with the dad who raised doing this to them.  My son is in grad school and has an amazing, supportive girlfriend who I adore and my daughter loves her job and had many wonderful friends and both of their lives are full.
I have said it before, I hope one day I  am as wise as you all and can help someone else who is struggling in this horrible situation.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.