Skip to main content

Author Topic: Mirror-Work #LBSgoals

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Mirror-Work #LBSgoals
OP: October 11, 2019, 12:20:54 PM
Inspired by Ready2Transform's thread...

Just something to shift the focus here a bit to US.

What are your LBS goals (and/or how have they shifted over time)? 

I'm 4.5 years in.
My goals at the moment are:
1) To continue to fight cancer and do things to help my health (daily exercise, healthy diet, etc)
2) To get to a stable place health-wise and find a job that will allow me to support myself but not adversely affect my health
3) To stop thinking that the fact that I currently can't support myself makes me "less than."

My nephew opened a piece of Dove chocolate the other day - there are positive messages written on the inside of each foil-wrapped chocolate.  He has been practicing his reading and improving daily.
He opened the chocolate and excitedly read to me:
"Auntie Nas, "Don't stop until you're proud."

YUP.

And I look forward to shifting my goals as my situation shifts.
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

K
Re: #LBSgoals
#1: October 11, 2019, 12:50:06 PM
Oh Nas--I love this! And I love your goals. I'll have to give it some thought but wanted to attach and of course comment that one of my goals is now that you continue to fight cancer and do things to help your health. ;)

Your nephew sounds awesome by the way!
Me 50
H 49
S15
BD 5/16
H Moved out 6/16
OW--yes. Worked for H. EA turned into PA while I was in chemo. On again/off again like every high school romance

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#2: October 11, 2019, 12:53:54 PM
Aww, thanks KIT! 
Lol, my nephew IS awesome.  He's the coolest almost-eight-year-old I know.  Not that I'm biased at all...
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

#3: October 11, 2019, 01:57:27 PM
Great discussion thread Nas.

1. Speak my mind to everyone. My opinion matters, all to often I would give to get along.

2. Become happy with myself and know that I have self-worth. 

3. Figure out what I REALLY want out of life and go get it.

These all sound cliche ! But that is what I am working on.
Together 12 yrs Married 5
5 kids 3- Step (21) (20) (18) Two together ( 8 ) (9)
BD1 March 2018 - I wish I could give you more of what you need
BD2 Aug 2018 - I want a divorce sent by text ILWYBNILWY

O/M Discovered Nov-18

Divorce final Nov-21

#4: October 11, 2019, 03:12:07 PM
I'm only a LBS here. The LBS concept does not exist in my real world. Pretty much no one around me knows a thing of what happened.

Currantly my only goal is to go with the flow.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

b
  • Mentor
#5: October 11, 2019, 07:41:09 PM
Great subject Nas!   I hope I qualify to participate even though I am not truly a LBS. I actually "feel" many of the same issues ..I often feel very alone, powerless to change certain things, confused and angry.  My husband is "here" but in so many ways , he really is not. He continues to wrestle with MLC and even he admits that there is truth in that.

1. I need to FULLY focus on ME. Almost selfishly. On my health ( I never feel well) on exercise and eating far better. I need to re-commit to this daily as I am very unsuccessful in starting ( and keeping) new lifestyles.

2. I need to continue to detach...from my husband and in fact other people that are not good for me ( my mother etc) . To understand that I do not need to react to other people. Continue to change only me in ways that will bring peace and acceptance.

3. To focus more on my book as I am very determined to do this . To "take" time to creatively write insead of always putting it at the end of my to do

I am sure I could list 10 more ...but this would be a great starting place.
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

#6: October 11, 2019, 09:21:58 PM
I love this so much! The good vibe meter coming off of this thread is totally in the red. :)

1. I need to break down my big goals into small, achievable tasks. I used to do this a lot, but I've been in a funk. I know a little momentum in the right direction will go a long way.
2. I need a CAR. I won't get one tomorrow, but I can start feeling out exactly what I want so it's more likely soon.
3. Wintertime workout schedule so I am more likely to start 2020 on the right foot. 2020 guys!! How weird does that sound?! 2020 Vision! 8)

• Mentor
#7: October 11, 2019, 10:24:45 PM
Figure out what I REALLY want out of life and go get it.
This is great, Father5. This is my only goal for the year. For a long time I did what I HAD to do. Now my kids are grown, my xW is gone and there's no reason I can't do what I want. But it's been so long since I've thought about what I wanted that I'm not sure how to anymore. Time to learn again.
"I'm slowly learning to expect nothing and appreciate everything."

Together 28 years, married 27. Two adult kids, ours

BD #1: 2016 - EA  |  BD #2: 2018 - FA

W moved out - June 2019 | OM#3 - July 2019
W asks for divorce - August 2019 | Divorce final - September 2019 | Moving on

My thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11537.new#new

New Here? Read this! http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=1149.0

F
#8: October 11, 2019, 11:05:08 PM
In a nutshell, PJ.
FIRETRUCK

#9: October 12, 2019, 12:27:09 AM
For me....

#1 ) growing up from within
I am beginning to understand how unfinished of a person I was and still am.    I've already done a lot of changes to become better man, but I know this will become a lifelong process.  Right now my big work in progress is to learn to letting go of anxiety and worry (=fears of unknown future, need to control my life), and just learning to live and enjoy the present moment regardless of what life throws at me.... It is kind of funny how I can already "taste it" in my mouth.   I know it will do nothing but good for me.... Another subgoal is learning to show love for myself.  Like so many here, I have placed the needs of others ahead of mine (jeesh, I'm beginning to sound like my W, LOL). 

#2 ) losing weight / getting back to shape
it will serve my physical wellbeing regardless of what happens in life

At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.