Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Through the Looking Glass

H
My Story Through the Looking Glass
OP: March 18, 2022, 06:43:14 AM
Here is my new thread.  I will add a more detailed message later this weekend.

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Left Home - January 2021
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

J
Through the Looking Glass
#1: March 18, 2022, 12:36:16 PM
R2T mentioned supplements at the end of your previous thread... One of the books I read recommended GABA, which is supposed to slow activity in the brain (it's a neruotransmitter). I've been taking it, and I'm not sure if it's working or I'm just calming down over time.

R2T, any info on GABA?

JB

Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

H
#2: March 22, 2022, 08:31:58 AM
Hi JB,

I am aware of GABA but haven't taken it before.  Would be interested to get other's feedback.

Journaling:

Well, this past week has been good for me as I just slowed down had some downtime without the kids.   I am a point where I know I am moving forward in the right direction and making good decisions on the big things (Kids, Job Search, Healthy Eating/Exercise, Good Sleep).  My job search is going well and a couple of other opportunities have popped up which are interesting and could be good fits for me.

As for my XW, I continue to hear about her firm kids about her struggles with close relationships with friends here locally as well as some issues managing her motherly duties.   She appears to be trying as a Mom which I am grateful.   Just tough to watch her self-destruct with key relationships.   It has provided me complete confirmation of her MLC and I know I can't directly help her through her journey right now.   Tough to do as I always was her caretaker and was her Rock to help her through the hard times.   I am at a point where I have accepted reality and will let time work to heal me and my XW over time.  We are on our own journeys for now.

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

#3: March 22, 2022, 09:18:10 AM
  Tough to do as I always was her caretaker and was her Rock to help her through the hard times.   I am at a point where I have accepted reality and will let time work to heal me and my XW over time.  We are on our own journeys for now.

Hey HF  :D

Oh I can soooooo relate to this. It's tough isn't it? That role we have (or used to have).... to be the protector, leader, fixer, rock and strength....... hard to let go.
There is a positive aspect to it though..... she has to learn to do some of this for herself, and if she wakes up later, can actually/totally/really appreciate what you do/did. Very awesome all that's going on in your life  8)

-SS

W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

M
#4: March 23, 2022, 04:17:48 AM
HF- I think that is the hardest part for detachment is the care giver role. You have no idea how much energy you put into that role until you try stop it. There is also the part of guilt that plays a role in it. Not deserved, but we feel bad that if we don’t continue that they will fall harder. For me now just finding out my XH has been married for months is just giving me that relief to let that role go. That is someone else’s issue, someone that has job idea their are issues or afraid to take her rose colored glasses off.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

H
#5: April 18, 2022, 08:16:12 PM
Good time to journal as much has happened over the past 4 weeks although things with the MLCer still appear to be the status quo.   The good news is I have had multiple interviews over the past couple of weeks and I think I may have an offer as soon as this week.   Also doing some contract work for the time being which will feels productive.   Really looking forward to getting back to work full time which should come as my severance runs out.  Good timing!   :D

As for XW, she seems to be in some inner battle with herself.   She had about a 7 to 10 day period of not feeling well and I was able to help out with the kids while the kids were with her during her week.   She actually even apologized to me for not feeling well, and I let her now that she never has to apologize with her chronic illness.  I still sympathize with her long-term health struggles although there are many other things that she needs to apologize for.  Maybe someday I will get one. 

As for the OM, still no public disclosure although he still appears to be in the picture based on her not being home one morning when our D needed something from her place.   Still can't believe that she has kept it hidden for over 2 years.  Craziness!

Well, learning to let the craziness go and treat her as a long lost relative that I still need to co-parent with.  Gotta live my own life now.

HF

W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

Re: Through the Looking Glass
#6: April 19, 2022, 05:58:51 PM
R2T mentioned supplements at the end of your previous thread... One of the books I read recommended GABA, which is supposed to slow activity in the brain (it's a neruotransmitter). I've been taking it, and I'm not sure if it's working or I'm just calming down over time.

R2T, any info on GABA?

JB

Hey JB! Sorry, I just caught this! I've actually just gone back on GABA myself. I took it within the first few years post-BD, and it was effective for me (or like you, sort of in conjunction with returning to a normal state). I was having some sleep disturbances over the last few months and so far, along with meditation, it's helping.

Well, learning to let the craziness go and treat her as a long lost relative that I still need to co-parent with.  Gotta live my own life now.

Doing good, HF! Congrats on all the good news on the work front!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:00:37 PM by Ready2Transform »

• Mentor
#7: April 23, 2022, 07:38:09 PM
Following along HF.
"I'm slowly learning to expect nothing and appreciate everything."

Together 28 years, married 27. Two adult kids, ours

BD #1: 2016 - EA  |  BD #2: 2018 - FA

W moved out - June 2019 | OM#3 - July 2019
W asks for divorce - August 2019 | Divorce final - September 2019 | Moving on

My thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11537.new#new

New Here? Read this! http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=1149.0

#8: April 23, 2022, 08:54:39 PM
Weird how they don't/can't admit eh HF?

I wonder if by the time they get around to being in a position to make a real switch, the feelings have worn down and they don't even want that anymore?

I'm so glad you're doing so well  :D

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

H
#9: April 25, 2022, 06:32:57 PM
Thank you Ready, PJ, and SS for your continued support.

Big news to share today!   I received an offer and accepted a job.   I am going through the pre-hiring process right now and will start in May.   It is such a huge relief and will help as I move forward on my journey.   I am now planning to move to a house in the summer and my kids are really excited too.  I'm ready for some fun and positive memories this year after a difficult two years.   

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.