Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Ask the Mentor.....2

k
Discussion Re: Ask the Mentor.....2
#120: February 02, 2013, 08:57:34 PM
Speaking from personal experience, I wonder if this is hormonally related. 
After our third child, I have not been able to eat eggs unless they were 'hidden' in baking etc.

If I ate eggs of any kind, I would feel extremely nauseated.
He is now 15, and in the past year, I have been able to eat them again, and very much enjoy them.

I used to have a sweet tooth, but this has changed dramatically in the past year also - and my snack of choice?  Walnuts!  yes Walnuts.  I can only but imagine that my body is demanding the minerals and the omega 3's, but I have no idea really.

So, your wife may be trying things out that match her new found personality, or it could be something similar to what I have experienced. 

B
  • Mentor
Re: Ask the Mentor.....2
#121: February 02, 2013, 09:05:12 PM
Kikki, thanks for the reply.  I think you may have something since W has recently gone back on birth control pills.  I do believe quite a bit of her issues are hormonal related.  Along with childhood / adolescent issues.  Perfect cocktail for MLC!
If you are feeling down, know that God Has always had a wonderful plans for you.  Unfortunately, there are things that happen and forces that work to try and keep us from reaching what He has for us.  The good news is that there is healing at work.  God is always working in and through your life to try to get you to where He wants you.

c
#122: February 02, 2013, 09:19:00 PM
I would google this question.  I know taste buds do become less sensitive as we age & that would account for liking stronger tastes--coffee vs tea.  Hormones, chemical change maybe?  I would hate to rush in & conclude all changes are related to mlc.

#123: February 02, 2013, 09:48:32 PM
In my H's case, he now eats two things he always hated: asparagus and pork.  Really strange things to suddenly crave!

I have had a serious peanut allergy my whole life, couldn't even touch or smell peanut without getting sick.  Post crisis, I realized after a few months of feeding it to them that my dogs' food had some sort of peanut in it.  For the first time in my life, I could smell it, and it didn't break me out in a rash if I touched it.  Haven't braved eating any to test it full on, but it seems my allergy has definitely changed.  There is definitely a hormonal element to this that physiologically changes us!

s
#124: February 03, 2013, 12:23:12 AM
Not sure what you and wife's life experiences are like, but I have found, people that travel a great deal or who have lived in other countries, are far more likely to be flexible with their diets/food choices.  We simply have had to try things that looked "questionable" to be polite and discovered they were absolutely "divine"! 

She could just be more curious about things, feels like her life has changed so much recently, that what the heck!  Tried it and liked it.  Could very well be hormonal.  Could also be an indication of something her body is missing during this stage in her life.  Most times, we crave something for a good reason.  Most of us quite instinctively will find what it is our bodies seem to be craving.  Quite frankly, we spend most of lives IGNORING what our heart, body and minds tells us would be good for us.  I think we have far more INGRAINED memory knowledge then we realize.  Perhaps, MLC brings out that NATURAL trait, that all of us have, as we read  and watch, every article, document and tv program out there, that TELLS us what we should be feeling, thinking, doing!  :o

So often we go through life blindly, routinely following the WAY WE DO THINGS.  Perhaps when our mental attitudes change, everything else changes with it.  Good question though Bailmore.  I guess you could say, WE DON'T KNOW!!  :-\

HUGS Stayed
Married 42yrs.
Reconciled July 5, 2006

"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out".  by Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
"We believe marriage is sacred, but it is not our job to save marriages; it is our goal to empower each of you to save your own marriage."

Stayed Husband Letter
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions for Newbies
The Mentor Program
LBS SCRIPT

• Together For 17 years Married for 1
#125: February 03, 2013, 10:22:56 AM
Interesting to note the changes in tastes and I do wonder if it's the body telling them that it needs something.  I also wonder if it's the whole trying out different personas too - trying to be different.  Maybe some of the dislikes they had before they see as being part of the old self.

Mr B never liked hummus - hated it, in fact - but after BD he couldn't get enough of it.  I asked him why the sudden change of heart and he said it was because of me (he was almost crying at this point) - because I liked it so much.  I found that kind of a strange reason and I think it's more likely that it's something that OW has said she likes.  On the plus side one of the benefits of hummus is uplifting your mood, because it contains so much Omega 3, so maybe it's also his body trying to tell him something.

On a related note, in the past Mr B would try lots of different types of food (he's quite adventurous as long as it's expensive) but he would get very attached to particular meals - wanting to get the same meal each weekend, for instance.  I just can't even look at salmon en croute any more because of this...
“None of us can heal in isolation. Healing is best done in community” Anne Wilson Schaef

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves - Viktor Frankl

l
  • MLCer Type: Vanisher
#126: February 03, 2013, 10:41:04 AM
Bailmor certain foods actually help boost moods. Caffiene and oatmeal fall in this category. For Kikki it seems to be walnuts and eggs, it's the omega 3. Mine was jalapeno's for a long time. I never ate them until I discovered I was dealing with some depression symptoms and craved them everyday. Here's a link to understand a little more about food and moods.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/23521-depression-relief-diet/
http://www.helpfordepression.com/slideshow/lifestyle-changes/10-foods-boost-your-mood
http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/diet-tips-eat-foods-boost-your-mood?page=2

Here's just a few websites that you can see how food can affect moods. I could probably research this all day but I did it in the past when I was finding that I was having unusual food cravings.

Take care,
Lulu

s
#127: February 03, 2013, 10:47:50 AM
Good stuff Leftylulu, I will check out your site later... hugs Stayed
Married 42yrs.
Reconciled July 5, 2006

"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out".  by Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
"We believe marriage is sacred, but it is not our job to save marriages; it is our goal to empower each of you to save your own marriage."

Stayed Husband Letter
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions for Newbies
The Mentor Program
LBS SCRIPT

A
#128: February 03, 2013, 11:38:38 AM
Great info Leftylulu!  Now I have a craving for walnuts.   Might just pick some up.

k
#129: February 03, 2013, 08:38:52 PM
Great links, thanks LeftyLu

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.