Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Womens Winter Workshop...

Off-Topic Womens Winter Workshop...
OP: October 24, 2013, 11:59:08 AM
I'm not sure how many of you are brand new to this but it seems like there are a lot more postings. I want to welcome any men that visit this thread; also as thier input is necessary and needed.

We may find ourselves for the FIRST time (or the first time in many years) getting through things on our own.

If you live someplace where it gets cold out in the winter? You need to have your car checked over before winter is in full swing. For some of us the H's or Ex's always did that. Antifreeze, oil etc along with other things.

If anyone would please share anything about what they may know about basic car maintenance and other troubleshooting techniques please post here.

This is also thread for any other 'Around the House " type projects we may attempt. Or troubles that show up..

SAFETY is first and foremost in regards to the LBS'S and CHILDREN IN THE HOUSE!
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

b
Re: Womens Winter Workshop...
#1: October 24, 2013, 12:12:14 PM
Love this thread, thank you for starting it.

Don't forget to change your furnace filters and a furnace tune-up is also important, we don't want it breaking down on the coldest day of the year, which of course is when it would most likely happen.

Also I have purchased battery operated lanterns and flashlights, a couple at a time, so that I have them ready should the power go out. If the power does go out during a winter storm,  all the flashlights and such are snatched up quickly and you will not find them when you need them. Don't forget extra batteries also. Lanterns and flashlights are much safer than candles.

Also for those of us in cold winter climates, a couple bags of kitty litter in your trunk, along with a shovel and broom will help should you get caught in a snowdrift.

Will look forward from hearing from others and their winter tips.
Hugs and Blessings,
Brokenhearted

c
#2: October 24, 2013, 12:21:28 PM
Get winter tires [they have a snowflake on them].  Even here where it doesn't snow much, the govt is requiring winter tires; not all season.  And, my mechanic says ALL 4 WD vehicles wear their tires unevenly unless they are rotated regularily.

B
  • Don't believe everything you think.
#3: October 24, 2013, 12:24:59 PM
http://Insulate outdoor pipes and taps  :)
Prune your favourite garden plants, put fleeces on them if you can and tie up your palm trees as they might not stand the weight of snow.
Keep a blanket in your boot, some drinks, a torche and lighter, a car phone charger and .maybe a few tins of fruit, and biscuits, too.
A snow chaos survival kit :)
'Nothing worth having comes easy'
BD oct 1st 2012. 2 teens- 2 Dogs. Together 16 years, not married. No OW in sight. Foo issues a go-go.

#4: October 25, 2013, 05:08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Cpngug8Oc

Just remember

positive+to positive+    ( color red)
Negative- to negative- ( color black)

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.

S
#5: October 25, 2013, 07:51:24 PM
Learned this one a couple of winters ago.

Not sure if this applies to all provinces or states, but instead of paying a local furnace company to come and inspect the furnace, just call your city/town/province gas provider, and they will come and do it for no charge.  Check their website. 

On a different topic (maybe next one?), but another thing I have learned is if you are really struggling, and in your own home, you can get a break on property taxes, depending upon your financial status. 
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

R

R

#6: October 25, 2013, 11:25:06 PM
Not sure I know anything of use (as Booboo can confirm on the hot water issue I had!!), but what a great idea for a thread, In It!  My new reference point!  ;)

xxx

#7: October 26, 2013, 12:04:45 AM
I think right now the single most important purchase I made was a cordless screwdriver-drill set. I love having that when something needs to be done. Then I have my own box of tools for doing things around the house.

Make sure if you tend to lose power in the winter you have oil lamps (Filled with oil; note to self ) on hand. Candles can be dangerous with small children and pets. Also a large flashlight if you don't have one already.

Also a hard line phone in case you need to call out. I know most people have cell phones now but they can be unreliable especially if they had a low charge. And I find them annoying as they cut out when you are trying to communicate.

Snowdrop- this  workshop not necessarily designed to address issues regarding the workings of houses and cars..I just wanted to start a thread to help us keep ourselves and our children safe through the winter ahead.

Please share any information that might be a way to save money also..or start a thread Snowdrop on how to save money! :)

R

R

#8: October 26, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
There's a storm due here in the UK (although whether it's dramatic as the media makes out, I am not sure), but combined with this thread, D12 and I have resolved to go and dig out torches, ensure we have matches and candles, and just have things on hand. 

Great idea about the landline too - we have notoriously bad signal in our village on our mobile phones, so proper wired landline seems a good plan!

xxx

#9: October 26, 2013, 12:26:02 AM
Good Clarebear keep us posted if you can! The media tends to sensational the weather sometimes.

That way if the storm is less fierce nobody catches hell for it.

But I'd rather err on the side of caution with weather -BE PREPARED.

What kind of heat source do you have?

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.