Skip to main content

Author Topic: MLC Monster a view into MLC from a MLCer

V
MLC Monster Re: a view into MLC from a MLCer
#20: August 21, 2014, 12:56:58 AM
Wow, thank you for sharing that insight from your friend, re-iterates that MLC takes TIME - it took him 6 years to crash..... 
I look forward to reading part 2.

Love & Light
Venus
There is always room in your life for thinking bigger, pushing limits and imagining the impossible.

s
Re: a view into MLC from a MLCer
#21: August 21, 2014, 01:28:36 AM
Thanks for writing this Moment.  My h and I have been reconciled for 8 years.  I had the feeling what he had experienced was something like what you wrote, but he has never really EXPLAINED it... at least not like you did. 

I knew the experience was HELL THOUGH!  I've never been able to really feel the empathy though.  I honestly understood that none of this was about "me", but I just couldn't understand how he could let so much damage crash around him and do nothing to stop it.  I felt all along that he knew what he was doing was wrong, but rather then NOT BEING ABLE TO STOP, I felt HE DIDN'T WANT TO STOP it!  Perhaps, it is a bit of both eh? 

I am going to have my h read this and see what he thinks of it.  I wonder if my h's guilt and ability to not "forgive" himself, is because unlike you, he did not pay the ULTIMATE price and lose his "friend/lover/wife".  He managed to hit rock bottom and cry for help before I had completely moved on.

Thank you for posting this.  Like the others I will be awaiting the 2nd. part eagerly.

Hugs Stayed
Married 42yrs.
Reconciled July 5, 2006

"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out".  by Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
"We believe marriage is sacred, but it is not our job to save marriages; it is our goal to empower each of you to save your own marriage."

Stayed Husband Letter
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions for Newbies
The Mentor Program
LBS SCRIPT

#22: August 21, 2014, 03:50:03 AM
Thanks for posting this, moment,

The beginning of this story seemed so generic, everything we tell ourselves everyday on this forum, that it almost seemed to be one of those nonfiction accounts where the names have been changed & experiences amalgamated to teach a lesson or tell a better story.  The skeptic in me kept saying "is this for real?" or just someone putting in "real story" form everything we try to convince each other of every day.

By the end, the "crashing in depression" part began to tell us something new.  Like L & others here expressed, how does this actually happen?

It is very unfortunate that MLC takes so damn long, because for some of us to truly "move on" there will no longer be room for the MLCer when he finally awakens.  Too bad many of them don't comprehend this until it is too late.

For those of you (including myself) who think that the OW (especially an OW who has been around for quite a while) - will somehow "work out".....this post clearly explains it.  He woke up with a complete stranger laying beside him. 

She was a welcomed distraction and nothing more.  This really doesn't say much about the OW.   This screams VOLUMES about what the MLCer is feeling and thinking.  This person is of no importance.  A welcomed distraction and nothing more.
Yes, L, it really is devilish that MLC nearly always involves infidelity, because we are so distracted by it.  How can we not be?  It tears our hearts out, veins & arteries trailing behind, our lifeblood draining away.  We focus so much time & energy on the OW.  We analyze her, her motives, her traits.  Somehow, in some way, she has to be better than us, have something for our H's that we don't; why else would he be there, stay there for so long?

Here, once again is confirmation.  Yes, she is a distraction, yes, they have good times together, yes they live a "life" together, but ultimately, the OP is not the solution, they are not the one the MLCer loves, they are not the one the MLCer realizes that loves him.  In the end she is truly nothing.
Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

Y
#23: August 21, 2014, 03:54:07 AM
Attaching to continue reading.

L
#24: August 21, 2014, 03:59:03 AM
Wow, thank you for sharing that insight from your friend, re-iterates that MLC takes TIME - it took him 6 years to crash.....  I look forward to reading part 2.

Love & Light
Venus
I picked on the long timescales as well.

Count me in for part 2 .

Lanzo
We survive, Life really does go on

#25: August 21, 2014, 04:03:51 AM
thank you for sharing this I really needed to read something like this to realise i am not stupid at all thinking my h is having a mlc

cant wait for part 2 hugs to you and your friend x

s
#26: August 21, 2014, 05:19:34 AM
Thank you so much for posting this story.  It is incredibly generous to help so many grieving LBS's who just want their husband/wife back.

I was totally amazed, but not surprised by the story.

It would be interesting if we could gain some knowledge about anything that could or would have helped the crisis, or memories of things loved ones said or did that stuck in the mind of the MLCer during the crisis that may have helped move the process along.

Does the former MLCer recognize the significance of past family of origin issues in the crisis?

It appears from the story that nothing would have helped?  And no, forum members, I am not trying to fix the MLCer, just understand what's in their head ;D ;D

Really looking forward to part two.

#27: August 21, 2014, 05:26:52 AM

Thank you for posting , it is so helpful to read stories from people who have been through it.

Callan

#28: August 21, 2014, 05:40:54 AM
It also helped confirm to me that however I had handled things with my H that we would have still had the same outcome!

I have often worried that I handled the situation badly with my H before he left and have often believed I should have just let him do whatever he was going to do and not try to stop him. So thank you, at least I know now I'd still be on my own! I could never have changed his destructive path.

X

L
#29: August 21, 2014, 06:08:11 AM

MLC can take a LONG time.  If he woke up six years later, and spent two years in recovery, think about the fact that this was a very high energy MLCer...  Not having sustained this kind of life before, how long could he PHYSICALLY run that hard and fast?  What about our less energetic MLCers, the ones who creep along, and never have that endorphin crashing, adrenaline fading WTF hangover... how long do they take?  Ten, fifteen years?
The best thing about banging your head against the wall for so long is that it feels so good when you finally stop...

BD 1/16/10
D Final 7/21/11
exH married OW the next week and moved across the country to be with her... 

LL CHOSE to live happily ever after...

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.