Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Sometimes the finish line is just the start of somethin' new

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Great post.

Is D getting a specialty masters in her field?

How is S's GF? Is she still in the picture?
Enquiring minds want to know... <lol>

Seriously though, I am really happy for D being accepted. That has got to be a load off both of your plates and it gives her a new perspective.

I'm also glad for her sake that BIL2 kept you all in the loop and that the other one made it through the surgeries.

As for xH, well..... What is there to say? If one doesn't do the work, one can not expect things to change, right? And, there comes a time when we (the LBS) have simply grown beyond what we were and have a totally different perspective that make a return/reconnection/reconciliation a moot point. That is the risk the MLC'er chooses to take when they decide to do what they do. Yes, they may be ill. Yes they are having a crisis but they are not mentally incompetent to the point of no longer being able to determine right and wrong....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
Reinventing & UrsaMajor - D is still thinking of pursuing Physical Therapy, but this university also has research opportunities and the possibility of following into medical education. D likes the idea of being able to continue her research and tutoring, which is one thing the other program didn't offer. It was very straight forward - highly regarded as a great program, but more geared towards a more narrow focus. I think that was part of D's hesitation. Either way, she said to S, yesterday that she is feeling more and more comfortable with the idea of leaving home to follow this path.

As for S's GF. Yah. That is still a thing. It is not easy biting my tongue. She is not a monster, nor is it a case that no one will be good enough for my S, because lord knows, he is far from perfect. I just see so many red flags and things that are not going to get better. However, S is going to have to follow his path. I can only say so much and pray he sees the problems. Underneath it all, I know he is in no rush to buy a house and move out. I know why - even when he doesn't say it. She is not happy about it, but she makes no efforts to pitch in. S has out and out said to me he has a plan to pay off his student loans, etc and get out of debt before he takes on a house payment. Furthermore, I know he has expressed to both she and I that he is not going to venture into that type of expense if she doesn't pull her weight. He knows she makes less, so it is not about a 50/50 split. He simply wants some reasonable assurance that she is going to quit spending all the time on random $h!te and put herself on some type of budget, like he has. Sort of the idea that she sets some goals and starts putting any money aside. She hasn't and continues to spend on "things" to make herself temporarily happy.

IDK - maybe that is part of the thing that rattles me. The behavior she exhibits reminds me too much of the MLCer and buying material things or seeking out things to make her happy - never looking inward to see that none of those things are fixing her issues. She has no female friends to speak of. There is always some drama stirred up - often on social media. For someone nearing their 30s, it seems rather juvenile. S has little patience for that.

Yet, there are times she shows compassion and has her good side. It is the red flags though that just make it hard for me to see the positives and ignore the warning signs.

I keep hoping that it will fizzle out. It is possible I am going to have to accept S may be with her for the long haul. Until he has had enough, there is very little I can say or do.

• Mentor
IIRC, S has also had a "learning experience" with C and the whole house debacle so he is likely hesitant to saddle himself with a huge debt until he has some security that it will not be a "wash-rinse-spin-repeat."

And he is 100% spot-on to insist that, if GF wants in, she will have to contribute and pull her weight... Good for him!

I am really happy for D that she has found "the" program that she wants and was accepted. That has got to be a good feeling.... also for you as "Proud Mama (Bear when needed)"   ;)
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
UrsaMajor - you have a good memory. Yes, S had a "learning experience" with C. Funny you call it that, because last week, my M was fretting over what a mess that all was and unfortunate that S and C aren't friends. And she was upset C has never paid a dime back on the over $7K S put into the place. My response was S has learned from that experience and it was unfortunately an expensive lesson. I am not too sure that settled my M's feelings on that topic, as it is her first born grandchild, and she is insanely protective of him in particular. LOL

Like it or not, as I have certainly found out in my own life with the MLCer, some lessons are expensive. There are many things I would do differently if I could, but it is not possible. I didn't own a crystal ball then or now. Frankly, I was so focused for a long time on Xh and I reconciling and saving the marriage, that I probably would have ignored a crystal ball's forecast anyways. Unfortunately some of life's lessons are painful and in my case were certainly costly. I allowed the finances to get completely blown up. I have accepted that even if I had tried, I might not have been able to completely stop it. I have also accepted and acknowledge my own role and I am paying the price. I have had to rebuild and that is okay.

Along the way there have been little rewards and things I can be proud of. This past weekend, I was very pleased with myself. LOL. I had been promising myself I would get a new bed frame for myself after hitting some goals. It was an expensive endeavor, so I did a load of research and have been putting it off for months, because I wanted solid wood and some other mandates. I have antique furniture in the house as well as newer, but I am fussy about the quality. I tend to invest in things that are going to last a longer time. I finally gave myself permission to splurge when it went on sale and it arrived in two containers. The funny thing was, it had said "some assembly required". I knew that was going to be at least the case due to having to ship it and the side rails, etc would need to be assembled. Turns out, that was not the case. It was a full assembly. Game on. LOL

The instructions said two people should be able to put it together in an hour and a half. I was alone this weekend, and decided to tackle it as far as I could without help. I figured out a way to work around not having that second person and within 2 hours, I had it up and assembled. S came home from helping out a friend, and he started laughing. He knew I had to have taken the boxes apart downstairs and taken up sections by myself. He was very impressed when all was said and done. In part, because with my stubborn streak, I have been known to push the limits. I was more thoughtful about it this time. No need to end up at the doctor with an injury.

That little reward was a big deal for me. It was not about doing it on my own. It was that it has helped push out those residual feelings of Xh telling me I would not be able to be alone in any way.

My reality is this. I can be alone. I can do it on my own or know how to ask for help more than I did in the past. On the flip side of it though is something else. And it is a conversation I had with another LBS friend of mine. She had encountered several women who want no part of having a man in their space. They want companionship but would not want to share any part of their home, etc. This friend was perplexed by this. I laughed and said I don't entirely get it either. It is not a demand either of us have, but we realized we are not possessive of our homes. We like sharing our life and spaces.

What came out of the conversation was that some people don't understand that when for instance she or I say we like our alone time, it doesn't mean all the time. In fact, it is that we don't want a shadow who is constantly around at every moment. We like having things that our significant others have their own things they like to do and don't require us to be there all the time and visa versa. I sometimes need just an hour to myself to decompress or read a book. It isn't a constant daily need.

For me it is very much like when the kids were little. I loved my kids, but there were just times in the day that I needed even half and hour to go for a walk or something. Sometimes I wanted to go to the grocery store and not have extra "helpers" - including Xh. Most times we did those things together and it was nice. We had a routine. But there were just times when I wanted a little bit of time to just be by myself.

I like having someone in "my space". I accepted there were going to be little things that would drive me nuts and conversely, I have things that drive other people crazy. Hence the need for space from one another, but that didn't mean separate rooms. I was allowed to go into the garage and hang out. No one was banned from using my art room. I only ever asked that they respect some of the materials, etc - along the lines of knowing certain brushes had specific uses and needed to be cleaned in a certain manner. Or my fabric scissors were not to be used on paper. Beyond that, it was not uncommon to have my kids working at the drafting table on homework or projects.

That brings me to D.

I am a "Proud Mama". Extremely. This is not small feat, but I am keeping my mouth shut and let D discuss it when she wants to.

When it comes to D and I though. She and I are at a point where she needs to go out on her own. I have realized that I don't have the patience I used to for certain personality traits. Unfortunately for her, she has enough of Xh in her - which is not bad by any stretch of the imagination - that I no longer have the same tolerance for the type A aspects. I was able to handle it with Xh for a long time. I probably would have still tolerated it if he hadn't gone and boarded the MLC Express. I have changed too much. I have accepted that. I need someone who is not as intense as D is all the time. And, I love her with every bit of my being, but we do not make good roommates.

She also needs to spread her wings. For her own self confidence. She and her BF have been together for 6 years and are talking about a future together. They are well suited, and I do hope it works out for them. D is at that point where she too needs her own space to grow. She knows she can come home and I am not renovating her room and making it into a walk in closet for my shoes (her joke) - and no, it is not that bad - I am able to keep my things in my closet and dresser just fine. LOL

Each day she seems more and more sure of her decision. She shared the news with the person who has been in her corner for so very long and who has been a father figure to her in many ways - the physical therapist she sees. His wife was so thrilled and made sure he was there when D shared the news. He told her that he was not surprised by the acceptance and he knows it is a top school. He reminded her that anything she needs, be it advice or clinical work, etc, to just reach out. He has a place for her and also has many contacts he is willing to allow her to use. I think that helped D feel even more confident about her choice. He also told her that no time was ever going to feel "right" completely and it was okay to have questions or fears along the way. It is a matter of weighing those feelings against your gut and of course some solid answers on certain things.

She goes tomorrow for her first "accepted student" tour. She is preparing for several other types of visits and has me promising I will make time to go with her. Tomorrow she is also going to scope out the housing situation and finally agreed with me that she should live on campus at least for the first semester and take that stress off of her plate. Just get her feet wet and figure out the lay of the land before jumping into an apartment. In the meantime, it will give her BF time to search for jobs in that area.

I have off next week and I am looking forward to the break.

• Mentor
Yep... Some lessons are very costly...

But, if they are taken on-board and learned then something good comes out of it.

As far as D is concerned, I expect it will be a somewhat bittersweet thing to have her move on campus but, to be honest, that is often where the fun starts and, as long as it doesn't get out of hand <cough, cough, we don't want to talk about it>, it is also a good learning experience.
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

R
I think she's an A+ student who doesn't get out of hand. Just my perception, could totally be wrong.

• Mentor
I think she's an A+ student who doesn't get out of hand. Just my perception, could totally be wrong.

I was talking about MY experience in student housing <lol>
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

R

.. should have known.....

• Mentor

.. should have known.....

Not to hijack MD's thread but .....

My first semester was an educational disaster and I ended up on Academic Probation. My roomie was also a freshman with a +9 on the Party-Hearty factor. 8:00 am classes were regularly blown off and my GPA was butt-ugly.
For my 2nd semester, I changed rooms and roommates - my new roomie was a Senior majoring in Classical Antiquities. My GPA went up to a B+ for the Semester so pulled up my year to a B-.....
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

M
Reinventing & UrsaMajor - D is very serious about her studies. I was the same type of student. I thrived on academics, so I am also aware of the other side of it, where burnout is possible. I have encouraged D to allow herself time to have some fun and to decompress. She goes out for a drink every now and again, but she prefers going to the gym or spending time with her BF over any partying.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.